PayByPhone payments can be refused for several reasons. In this article, we share troubleshooting steps to help ensure your payment is successful.
Trouble Shooting Checklist:
1.👉Re-input the payment details.
Mistakes happen! Make sure that you’ve input the correct information.
Adding a card:
- Visit Account Settings > Payment Options
- Click the top button ' Add new card' and input the card number and expiry date.
- If your card does not have a start date, the field can be ignored.
- You can register multiple cards, however, only payment types accepted at your location will appear as an option when you park. Learn more about accepted payment types in this article.
Removing a card:
- Visit Account Settings > Payment Options
- Swipe left (iOS) or tap the dots on the top right (Android) to remove any unwanted or expired cards.
2. 👉Try a different PayByPhone application:
Dial the UK phone number (IVR)
0330 400 7275
Dial the phone number displayed on parking meters and signs. In North America, the number can vary. Please try 1 855 396 7574 unless the sign states differently.
3.👉Ensure that you have installed and used the latest PayByPhone mobile app.
- We regularly release system updates to maintain the security of our platforms. Please visit the Apple or Google Play stores to download.
4. 👉Try using Apple Pay instead of a regular credit card.
- We recommend using Apple Pay (wherever offered) over a regular credit card as they have a lower decline rate and a much better Strong Customer Authentication (SCA)
5.👉Try a different form of payment.
- There are sometimes technical issues relating to a specific payment modality. For example, Mastercard payments could be failing whilst all other card types are functional. In this example, we would recommend trying a different card type that is accepted at that location such as Visa instead of another Mastercard.
6.👉The card type is not accepted at the location.
- The parking operator has not set up their merchant account to allow for your payment type. For example, you may be used to using Apple Pay – with Visa, but the location you are trying to pay with accepts Visa. Please click here to learn more.
7.👉Contact your banking institution.
- There could be something happening at the bank that is unrelated to the parking operator's merchant account or the PayByPhone application.
- Your financial institution can block transactions without blocking your car, so it is possible that you can transact with other companies but not with PayByPhone. These algorithms are set by your bank and not by PayByPhone.
- UK: Strong Authentication may be enabled on your card: Click here.
Common Reasons for Payment Refusal
Payment errors and issues associated with card verification can occur due to the following most common reasons :
- Insufficient funds: you have insufficient funds in your bank balance or your card limit has been exceeded.
- Authorisation refused: the authorization request has passed through the banking system and has been declined. This may be because your financial institution has determined your card or specific transaction is suspicious. These fraud prevention rules are set by your bank, but they sometimes block legitimate transactions.
- Transaction type non-unauthorized on the card: this means that your bank does not authorize this type of transaction.
- Incorrect payment information: your payment card was added with incorrect information (For example, you may have changed your phone number and couldn't receive the one-time password from your bank).
- Payment Gateway issues: there are technical issues with our payment gateway.
- Network connection issues: there is a problem with the network connection (e.g. bad/no connection to the mobile network). Please try reconnecting to a different network.
- Country not supported: Payments from certain countries cannot access our network. Please try a different platform such as mobile web, or interactive voice recognition by dialling the phone number listed on the meter/sign. See: How do I purchase parking with PayByPhone? (All platforms)
- Failed authentication (UK): this means that the strong authentication (via SMS or from your banking application) was not completed correctly.
If you continue to have problems with the payment, please contact our Customer Support so that we can investigate your problem further. Here is a link to our virtual assistant.
💡 How can I activate strong authentication on my bank card?
If your payments are refused, it is possible that Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) is not activated on your card. Please check this setting and try your payment again once activated:
If your bank does not appear on this list, please contact us via our virtual assistant, so we can send you the procedure.
Learn more about MNO billing and the associated errors by clicking here: MNO billing errors