How to get a monthly permit in the MBTA
If you do not have a PayByPhone account here is how to first register (if you do have a PayByPhone account already just skip to number 3 after using the MBTA web link on number 1):
- Visit MBTA Monthly Permit and click on the register link at the bottom of the page:
- Once the register link is hit a new tab on your browser will open and you will be taken to the PayByPhone register homepage:
- Once registered, click back to the tab on your browser that is for the sign-in screen of the MBTA permit site and sign in.
- Once logged in, choose the MBTA lot that you will be parking at, so use the drop-down to find your lot.
- Once the lot is selected a bunch of options will appear, first you will need to enter the number of months you wish to pre-purchase (most select 1 month and just use the auto-renewal if they are going to use this for more than one month that way if they wish to discontinue the service, they do not have to chase around a partial refund. More about auto-renewal below).
- Next, you will need to choose the start date of the permit. The date will auto-set whatever day you are logging into the website and because the permits are by monthly you will need to manually adjust the date to the 1st of the month you wish to start your permit on (you can only move forward, you cannot backdate a transaction).
- You will now choose the plate number associated with your permit and if the auto-renew is something to have engaged. The auto-renewal will be run 5 days before the end of the month. If the payment fails and you have provided PayByPhone your email address on your account, we will send a Parker a notification about the failure and instructions on what to do. (only one attempt will be made to auto-renewal the Parker's permit)
- After you choose a plate and engage (or not) the auto-renewal you will hit the 'next' button to continue.
- Now the Parker is taken to the review & confirm screen of the process (please be mindful of the displayed information before authorizing payment). If all looks to be correct the Parker can authorize the payment by hitting 'Submit'.
The Parker is now taken to the receipt page announcing a payment success. If a Parker has any questions about their permit, needs to change the license plate on the live permit, or wishes to remove the auto-renewal they can send a help request via firstname.lastname@example.org with their PayByPhone account number and as much context as possible as to their issue.